I teach everything and anything related to instructional design. Here are a few lists of what I train on. You can also check out my recorded webinars below to get a sense of my style.
Instructional Design Essentials
- Writing Learning Objectives
- Designing a Lesson from Scratch
- Storyboarding and Flowcharts
- Mind Tricks for Learning (Memory and Learning)
- Learning Theories
- Instructional Strategies
- Evaluation and Assessment
- Basics of Graphic Design
- Make an Interactive Video
- Use H5P to Create Open and Interactive Tutorials
- Locating and Reusing Free Graphics, Audio, and Video
- Microlearning Basics
- Technology of Digital Badges
- Best Practices in LibGuide Design
- Accessibility and 508 Compliance
- Free and Freemium Apps for Teaching
- Gamification for Learning
- Best Practices in Elearning Design
- Learning Management Systems: Moodle, Canvas
- Augmented and Virtual Reality
- Building Community in Online Courses
- Online Learning for Humans (Human-centered course design)
- Universal Design for Learning
- Engaging Zoom/Conference Presentations
- Converting In-Person Courses to Online
Open Education and Alternative Textbooks
- Intro to Open Education and Alternative Textbooks
- Basics of Creative Commons and Copyright
- Going In-Depth with Alternative Textbooks
- More on Copyright and Creative Commons Licenses
- Choosing to Publish OER
- Remixing and Publishing OER
- Open Pedagogy
- Articulate Storyline
- Adobe Captivate
- Google Cloud Storage (web hosting)
This webinar covers Instructional design models, how people learn, learning theories, and memory, motivation, and feedback.
Eye-Catching in a Good Way: Graphic Design Basics
This session served as a primer on effective visual design. We covered basic graphic design principles, the use of color, type, and typography, and designing effective slides, handouts, and job aids.
Learning for Everyone: Accessibility and 508 Compliance
In this session, we’ll talk about how you can create online learning experiences that are usable by everyone. We’ll define accessibility, cover common accessibility pitfalls, talk about legal requirements under Section 508, and we’ll cover strategies to analyze content for accessibility.
Fair Use Isn’t Everything: Copyright, Public Domain, and Creative Commons
This session will cover finding and reusing existing content for your learning experiences, and how to protect your own work. We’ll dive into copyright, fair use, Public Domain, and Creative Commons.
Higher Education and K-12
Technology and 21st Century Skills/Free Graphics, Audio, and Video for Education
Just because it’s on the internet doesn’t mean it’s free! In this hour-long webinar, you’ll learn where to find media while respecting creators’ copyright. We’ll go over the basics of “Creative Commons” licenses and what it means when something is “open.” You’ll learn how to use Google Images and other sources to find open and openly licensed images. Come and learn how the basics of media may be reused, adapted, and legal while feeling guilt-free!
We talked about how getting social can improve learning, how using Universal Design for Learning principles benefits every learner, and we introduced accessibility guidelines.
This session introduced backward design, also known as competency-based learning. We covered the basics of lesson design and writing measurable learning objectives.
20 Free Apps for Online Teaching
I’ll share all of my favorite open and free apps and resources for teaching online.